Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] tholen@antispam.ham is offline

Default Observations on a UPS - follow up to a previous post

Arfa Daily writes:

Doc wrote:

I don't like the way LCD/flat panel monitors look. The image isn't as
sharp

That's hard to believe. A problem common with CRTs is trying to achieve
convergence of all three colors everywhere on the screen. Lack of
convergence leads to loss of sharpness. Convergence is not an issue on
flat panels.

I don't really think that cvonvergence has been much of an issue since
slotmasks became the norm many years ago, as these are inherently self
converging.

How so?

Whilst very cheap-end CRT monitors and TV sets might still have
some slight convergence issues at the screen extremities, I can't honestly
say that I have seen anything in this respect worth commenting on, for some
years now.

I have.

Perhaps I'm just lucky, or just selectively seeing what I want
( or don't ! ) want to ... d;~}

There's also the issue of focus. I've seen CRTs go "soft" as they age.
Focus is not an issue on flat panels.

Then there's magnetic effects. Aside from degaussing, which modern CRTs
are designed to do automatically, you have to worry about external fields,
such as from nearby loudspeakers. I had a modern CRT image start to
"shimmy" when an outdoor security light came on every evening. Flat
panels are immune to external magnetic fields and don't need degaussing.