Glenn Ashmore

Default repair underground wire insulation

I nicked the power line going to the boat shed a couple of years ago.
One conductor was showing. Dug out around it, cleaned it up good and
wrapped it with several layers of Tommy Tape for 6" either side. Been
burried now for 3 years in fairly wet ground with no problem.

Tommy Tape is a self amaglimating plastic that is waterproof and once it
cures must be carved off. Great stuff for sealing outside connectors and
wires. It will patch a radiator hose pretty well too. I know you can
get it at Wally Mart.

Karl Townsend wrote:
I hit an underground 12-3 wire with my shovel digging a hole. Gouged it
right up to the wire on one conductor.

I think cutting the wire in two and putting in an underground splice may
cause more trouble than it fixes.

Just wrapping the spot with electrical tape will probably let water in and
it will fail here in the future.

Is there a another repair option?

Karl

--