Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default re-occuring end wrench

Fascinating history and information. Many many thanks George.

I just wandered out to my rollaways and found a goodly number of Vlcek
wrenches, id'd either by name or the sheild.

Way cool.

Gunner

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 19:05:20 -0500, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 21:45:16 GMT, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

Whenever I am at a garage sale or flea market I always look for single
wrenches that I dedicate to my machinery. e.g. toolpost wrench, milling
vise wrench etc.

For years now seems like everywhere I go I seem to find the same wrench, and
sometimes the only wrench. It is a double open ended wrench, short (6" ±)
and heavy. Sometimes the only marking on it is the number "31" on one of
the heads. Today I saw the same wrench. This time it is marked Vlchek,
marked 7/8" on one end and 25/32" on the other. And, yes, the flip side of
the 25/32 head has the number 31. What is this wrench? Why are there so
many of them? Was this one of those giveaways 50-60 years ago when you went
to the movies? Seems like every barn or ranch sale has one or more of
these. Special farm tractor wrench?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

==========
click on
http://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artif...hek-story.html
http://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artif...-story-p2.html

google on vlchek 31 wrench for 306 hits.

also see
http://www.countrybynet.com/forums/s.../o/all/fpart/1
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/a...php?t-498.html

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.