Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
ghost[_2_] ghost[_2_] is offline

Default ATTN: Jigs & Chris Damico Ship captains spy scope display (resized)

Thanks for the tips on wood carving and image transfer.
I'm gonna have to do some research on the net and build a woodcarving
resource file starting with the tips ppl. have offered in this group.
In high school, a looooong time ago, I carved a bowl out of mahogany.
It really didn't require any artistic talent, just a lot of hand
sanding once I got it roughed out with wood chisels.

Thanks again all.
Francis

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 18:23:53 GMT, Jigs wrote:

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 17:03:24 -0700, ghost wrote:

Wow, The carving is great.
Where did you get the picture for the carving?
How did you transfer it to the wood?
Did you use hand carving tools or a mototool or both.

The easiest way to transfer to the wood is to print a reverse or
mirror image, on a laser jet or inkjet printer, and then iron it onto
the wood with a dry iron set to cotton.

If you get the t-shirt transfer sheets for your printer you can do
some interesting things with colored images onto light colored woods
such as maple.
I used to tool leather a verry long time agoe when in high school but
never attempted any wood carving.
I dont think I would have the artistic touch to do something like that
or develope a process for wood carving.

Francis, the carving isn't any harder per se than the leather tooling,
just a different process. Get a book or one of the magazines
dedicated to carving, and give it a go. Check around there are
woodcarving clubs in some areas, and Woodcraft or other stores offer
classes for beginners with loaner tools. That would give you an idea
if you like doing it or not, with our a lot of investment.

Also, the leather working stamps can be used on wood to produce
texture and shadow lines, in carved areas to a very good effect.