Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default How do I connect a wood 2x6 to steel beam??

On Aug 19, 2:38 pm, wrote:
I need to frame in around a beam in my basement for drywalling. I want
to connect a wood 2x6 to the steel beam running down my middle of the
basement.

Can I glue it and will the glue hold? Drill a hole in the beam does
not sound safe.

The greatest stress on an I beam is the bending force on the vertical
web. Drilling a few modest holes in the horizontal plate at the bottom
(presumably where the 2 x 6 will be attached) will have little effect
on the beam. Intuitively, 3/8" holes spaced 4' apart ought to do the
job. Others may have a better idea.

Joe