Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default How do I clean my 4" chuck? dunk it in soemthing?

"PeterM" wrote in message
. ..
I hope one of you nice people here can tell me how I can clean my 4" chuck.
I just got it from a neighbor that was going to toss it. It works swell,
but has some surface rust. Please take in consideration, that I'm old, weak
and run out of air quick. I still like to get it done. One day the
grandkids will have it, and I like to leave it in at least clean
condition....What if I dunk it in acid, of course diluted. I'm sure you
will talk me out of it, it is dangerous, and I think it does something with
the hardening or makes it brittle maybe. I'm not sure what it does. I
purchased a nice V block from EBay once, and it was real nice and shiny. It
doesn't look that way now. It only been in my house, and I live in CA, no
moister anywhere. So I think these guys have some sort of secret formula. I
don't need the formula, but maybe a comment or two. As you can see I'm
really in need of help.....Peter

Dismantle the chuck, and clean it well with Stoddard solvent or mineral
spirits (paint thinner works very well). After cleaning, use Naval Jelly.
It's a buffered phosphoric acid gel that will dissolve only the rust, and
convert the surface to one that resists further rusting.

I'd suggest you avoid the use of hydrochloric (muriatic) or other acids.
They are quick to dissolve the rust for the most part, but they are
aggressive and will dissolve base metals. You avoid that with Naval Jelly,
and it's quite safe to handle. Wear rubber gloves, but even if it makes
contact with your skin, it isn't very serious. Wash it off with water and
soap and you'll not even know it was there.

When you are finished with the Naval Jelly, wash the entire chuck well in
hot water, then dry and oil.

The negative of using acids, aside from dissolving sound metal, is that
there is evolution of hydrogen. It is readily absorbed by steel, and
interrupts the lattice such that it fails by breaking. Likely wouldn't be a
problem for your chuck, but why take chances?

Good luck with the chuck. Cleaning it isn't a big deal, especially if the
rust is superficial.

Harold