Posted to uk.d-i-y
cynic cynic is offline

Default Smelly oil-fired stove

On 19 Aug, 18:17, KingoftheBungle wrote:
On 19 Aug, 17:58, Derek Geldard wrote:

Are you burning the right oil? Paraffin oil for home heating used to
be de-odourised but the heaters will burn kerosene, are you being sold
the right stuff, or even is it still available?

Google for "Esso Blee Dooler". :-)

It must be the right oil. The engineer had to do work on the tank
(it's well away from the house, so that's not the source of the smell)
and emptied it out and refilled it, so he would have known if it was
the wrong stuff.

It's strong enough to
make my eyes smart a bit when sitting in the living room and is very
noticeable when going from outside the house to inside. I think I may
even be getting a headache from it.

Then I'd take it seriously, my eyes became sensitised to fumes from
burning fat after we got an electric oven to replace the previous gas
oven which was ventilated and had catalytic linings.

Yes, I know the feeling. The stove has been off for a couple of hours
and I can still feel my eyes are irritated.

Perhaps there's not enough ventilation in the room? It's double glazed
and I can't see any air bricks.

There are engineers and then there are Engineers.

If your ventilation and flueing are up to scratch you should NOT smell
any products of combustion! There should be NO leaks of fuel to create
a smell.

I'd get him (her?) back pronto and demand a proper check which you can
witness and have fume clearance demonstrated during the course of.
If you still don't get any joy contact OFTEC for a properly trained
person to investigate