Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon Grimly Curmudgeon is offline

Default CFLs - switching on and off

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something
like:

Do you have further information on this? I understood that avoidance
of switch-on surges gave only minimal extra life to GLS lamps, though
considerable extra life to halogens.

As anecdotal evidence only...
I've noticed (as have others) that side-mounted filament lamps don't
last long, typically a few months of normal useage. Since powering a
desktop lamp through a push-button dimmer and using that dimmer as the
only on/off switch the same bulb has been in that lamp for the past 4
years. Ordinary 60W bulb, btw.
--

Dave