Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Kate Kate is offline

Default Ship captains spy scope display (resized)

"Chris Damico" wrote in message
Kate wrote:
Hi Chris,
I think it's very nice. I am quite impressed with your carving.

I hope that I won't offend you but when I looked at it I thought two
things:
1) I would have made it just a wee bit wider so that the ends of the scope
could be seen easily.
Maybe add two or three inches on each side.
2) I would have used a mix of dark mahogany and black and rubbed it into
the
ship and the crevices of the unit to give it an antiqued look.
It would really give the ship some punch and would age the unit so it
didn't
look so new.

One other thing, usually when a person cleans an item like this, it really
diminishes the value of the piece. If left in it's original condition it's
somehow more desirable and therefore more valuable.

No offence taken. I appreciate the creative criticism; that's how we learn.
In answer, the scope is actually about 4 inches shorter when fully
compressed. I pulled it out a bit (after the design) to expose some
engraving on the inner tube.

Now that you mention it, using some dark or black "filler" on the pores
would have added a lot to it. Thanks for the suggestion; I hadn't
thought of that. I don't use mahogany a lot and now I remember that Norm
always seems to add it. However, in most of my pieces I try to work with
the grain to expose and highlight it. After putting a coat of BLO on the
piece and seeing the grain shimmer, I'm not sure if I could have
darkened it with filler anyway. But, something to keep in mind.

On cleaning, I specifically asked the owner about that. I didn't want to
do anything to it to "de-value" the piece. But she actually said she
wanted it cleaned. Now, I didn't remove any 'finish', I just polished
the brass and sewed the leather sheath back together so I'm not sure I
did enough to actually take away from it's value. I'm sure in a few
years it'll look the exactly same way!

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Hi Again,
Actually... (I actually hate people who actually over use the word actually,
especially on the DIY shows, but there's not actually a thing I can do about
it)
With the rubbing, I meant more of a shading than a grain enhancer. Something
that would make it look as if it had been an old ship with an oil lamp
burning and the smoke from the lamp had gradually seeped onto the piece and
then been wiped but only as well as an old ship's captain would have done.
Leaving the dark in the crevices but the wood would be brighter in the
higher places. Like shadows.

I think it's great that you tried to preserve as much of the original finish
as you could.

--
Kate
______

The shortest distance between two points,
can be a lot more fun in a Jeep!