Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
DaveC DaveC is offline

Default old trusty DVM just died. Recommendations for a replacement?

Any good quality off brands that would do the trick?

I use Fluke meters in the field because they're pretty "bullet-proof" re.
their cases. Bit when I wanted something with more functions for the bench, I
didn't need something quite so stout.

I bought an Extech EX330:

http://www.extech.com/instrument/products/alpha/ex330.html

It's got capacitance and frequency measurement as well as temperature
measurement. (Mine came with a bead-type probe but I see some EX330 meters
that are not bundled with a probe. Look closely.) I think I paid about $50.

Jameco has a good selection:

http://www.jameco.com

I still think there's nothing like a Fluke but the competition is closing in
on them very quickly.

(I cross-posted to the s.e.repair group. I think these guys n' gals would be
able to give some good experiences re. meters.)

Good luck,
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address