Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default CFLs - switching on and off

Don Klipstein wrote:

Don is a lighting expert with a very informative and detailed site
last time I looked. However readers should bear in mind that tube
types, starting types, costs, common practices and terminology are all
different here in UK to the US.

Also I think somehting was missed in your calculations of switch off
break even time. If keeping the tube on for 20 minutes gains you 20
minutes extra tube life, you have in fact gained absolutely nothing.
The only difference is that 20 minutes of electricity have been
wasted. You wont get a single extra day of service time out of the
tube this way. I dont know why but this is so often overlooked in
these calculations.

NT