Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default CFLs - switching on and off

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
On 18/08/2007 18:59, Marsbar wrote:

Switch on only when required. What made you think that switching a
fluorescent light on and off wasn't a good idea?

It was either a common misapprehension, or used to be different with older
tubes. I certainly remember an "order" going around school in the early
70's to NOT switch off lights during break-times as it took more
electricity to re-start them, than to leave them on for 20 minutes.

There are a lot of "fools" about that believe anything they are told/hear
and lack any sort of understanding to know its rubbish.
Just look at Lenny in uk.t.b and you will know what I mean.

I bet there are loads of people about that think you should leave the CH on
at night as it takes more energy to warm the house up in the morning than it
does to keep it warm.. another common misconception doing the rounds..
again!!