Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Alan Alan is offline

Default CFLs - switching on and off

In message , The Natural
Philosopher wrote
Derek Geldard wrote:
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 13:46:15 -0700, wrote:

wrote:

I have understood that switching fluorescent lamps - tubes - on and
off was not a good idea and that they should be switched on and left
on. Unlike filament lamps which do not seem to mind.
How do the modern CFLs compare/suffer etc etc?? I know that they can
take a minute or two to warm up and maximise their light output.
If they should be switched on and left on, then they begin to defeat
the very purpose of having energy saving CFLs fitted.
a popular myth

Which one?
Could you point out please the particular myth you refer to?

http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....scent_Lighting

Could you expand on that? It's a rather large webpage but all it
says
on lamp life is :
"Tube life depends on type of ballast (& starter where used), and
how
often the tube is switched on and off."
Which is correct but not specially helpful.
BTW Mr. Meow. we had another CFL fail yesterday after 6 months
service
in a cap down open fitting. It was a Feit electric 23 watt spiral
offered for sale promising a 5 year life. The phosphor is quite
significantly darkened and the top of the plastic end cap containing
the electronic ballast has been toasted brown, what happened to the
cheap Chi/Taiwa-nese pcb assy inside is anyone's guess.
DG

I've noted the same, and that later models have a breather hole in
them.

I've just had a Pro-life 25W spiral bulb fail in a spectacular way (very
loud bang followed by lingering burnt smell). It's been fitted
approximately 6 months.

Photos
http://www.amac.f2s.com/bulb/index.htm

--