Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Here come the HIPs

Bob Martin wrote:
in 659914 20070818 114849 (Steve Firth) wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

Without the energy survey it seems like a sensible idea, rather like a
log book for the house. All the tedious stuff gets done in advance,
which has to be beneficial for both parties.

Except it's not. I for one will not trust a survey that I have not
commissioned and at present it's unclear who is responsible should the
HIP turn out to be inaccurate.

I was buying a house a few years and had already paid for a survey when the
vendor informed us that she had found another buyer. When I suggested her
new buyer help cut my losses by purchasing the survey from me I was told by
one of the solicitors that the survey was only valid for the person who paid for it.

So it seems the current system is as good as it gets then.