Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Martin Bob Martin is offline

Default Here come the HIPs

in 659914 20070818 114849 (Steve Firth) wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

Without the energy survey it seems like a sensible idea, rather like a
log book for the house. All the tedious stuff gets done in advance,
which has to be beneficial for both parties.

Except it's not. I for one will not trust a survey that I have not
commissioned and at present it's unclear who is responsible should the
HIP turn out to be inaccurate.

I was buying a house a few years and had already paid for a survey when the
vendor informed us that she had found another buyer. When I suggested her
new buyer help cut my losses by purchasing the survey from me I was told by
one of the solicitors that the survey was only valid for the person who paid for it.