Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default How to attach a table top without screws showing...

"Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote in

*snip: Hiding screws problem*

Do I.....

1. Use angle brackets connecting the 2x4's to the top boards from
"inside" and underneath? These would require very short screws
predrilled into the boards.

I did that with plywood tops once. One top started to warp and required
additional bracing.

or

2. The 2x4's are a true 3¼" I have 3½" decking screws. I'm wondering
if I couldn't just counter sink in the screw the entire width of the
2x4 upwards and (if I'm careful) have it pierce the top by only ½"...
But that seems sketchy to me.

If you can guarantee your screws would go in straight (predrill on a
drill press, for example), then this might work. You'll want 3 3/4"
decking screws, though. Your head should be flush and not counter sunk.
It takes a lot of the guess work out of putting screws in.

or

3. something else?

Thanks!

Personally, I think I'd attach 1x2s to the top and the top to the 1x2.
This way, you've only got 1 1/2" of material to screw through, and
support along the entire top. (Some glue, and a couple brads, and you've
got an obligatory Norm reference. :-)) The 1x2's broad side goes against
the frame, and the narrow side against the top.

Puckdropper