Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
bogus bogus is offline

Default RCM: finally got it up

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 13:19:54 -0400, Maxwell Lol wrote:

Won't always work. Some of the HIPCRIME software replicates the author and subject line.
So it can copy the RCM as well. Besides - changing the Subject messes up the threading/sorting.

I just killed all postings that cross-posted to sci.crypt. ZAP - no more sporgeries.

Yeah, this sort of stuff is often a stupid competition with each
participant having a "score" group (in this case sci.crypt) to catch the
outraged followups (they post material that they hope will get peoples'
backs up enough for them to followup and not notice the crosspost groups).

Adding new tags to subjectlines won't prevent the problem (and only messes
up the newsgroup further). The only way to avoid seeing this stuff is to
filter based upon crossposting. I use a nuke rule - all crossposted
articles get filtered (I know, a bit extreme but ...).

At the very least - if you're going to reply to this nonsense - remove any
crosspost groups from the newsgroups header so that the perpetrator won't
"profit" from the exercise (making him less interested in continuing).

Even if you don't want to change to a newsreader that supports killing
crossposted messages you can always use something like nfilter to
preprocess groups for you http://www.nfilter.org