Posted to alt.home.repair
Thomas Horne[_2_] Thomas Horne[_2_] is offline

Default measuring current in a 220 ac circuit

"Chris Friesen" wrote
In a 3-wire circuit you have two hots and a neutral. If you put a light
bulb between each of the hots and the neutral, there will be no current
flow in the neutral.
O yes it will and twice the hot legs, as I siad try and do little
expirement on your onw and find out for your self
Tony

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
I honestly can't tell if you're a troll or not.

If the neutral could carry twice the current of the hots in normal use,
then it would have to be a larger conductor than the hots.

In reality, the neutral in a feeder line is often *undersized* relative to
the hots. This is because it only carries the difference between the two
hots, and if you have balanced loads or 240V loads there is no current in
the neutral.

If that isn't enough of an explanation, I give up. This thread has gone
long enough. Please don't do your own wiring.

Chris

Tony wrote:
Chris we are not going any way so I am not going to comment
however? there is no such thing in AC circuit as positive
and negative the on three phase system or single phase,
the phases are out of phase by 90 degree
that is it! no positive or negative
just about 6-7 months ago I had job replacing 25 hp Refrigeration
compressor that runs on 480 three phase and guess what
one phase was neutral, amazing isn't and you telling me
neutral is not carrying current I afraid you will need eat few more
Winnies by have nice day Tony

Tony
If you think all grounded current carrying conductors are neutrals then
you are inadequately trained. A corner grounded Delta transformer set,
such as the one that probably supplied your refrigeration compressor,
cannot supply a neutral. The only time phases will be ninety degrees
out of phase is in a Scot T transformer arrangement.

The two hundred and forty volt, single phase, transformers that are used
to supply homes in North American practice are supplied from a single
phase on the primary side. How can a transformer with only two windings
produce a phase difference across it's output winding?

If you have worked with buck boost transformers you know that a single
phase transformer can be tapped on it's secondary side to supply several
different voltages and although it is rarely done those different
voltages can be from the same transformer secondary. I could ground any
one of the taps as long as I ground only one without effecting the
voltage output available from each portion of the secondary winding. If
it produces several voltages on it's output does that make it multi
phase? Voltage is usually measured to ground because it is that voltage
the insulation must successfully withstand. If you measure the outputs
against each other using an oscilloscope you will find that the wave
forms are identical in the horizontal or time domain and that they
differ only in their amplitude as an expression of their voltage.
--
Tom Horne