Posted to alt.home.repair
Dottie Dottie is offline

Default Ridge and soffit question

On Aug 17, 10:07 pm, Al Bundy wrote:
wrote in news:1187361953.904524.286200
@i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

I am having the shingles on my roof replaced. My roof has a ridge and
soffit attic ventilation system.

When I look up in the attic, I see there is a gap between the wooden
boards that make up the two sides of the roof. I assume the gap is
there for the air to flow thru. However the gap seems to be covered
with some black semi porous material right above the wood and does not
seem to allow a whole lot of air thru.

My question is.. when i look up thru the gap in the boards, should I
see some daylight that would tell me that there is a way for air to
pass freely? I can't see any daylight now and suspect air can't move
around that easily.

The attic air dows not go out and straight up. It goes out the sides of
the vent. The top if the ridge vent is covered to keep weather out. You
go up there on a hot day near the ridge vent. As hot as the roof is
you'll feel hoter air near the ridge vent.

Here's an animated airflow of how it works. Probably take forever on
dial-up.

http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_...ge_id=35720118

I posted this question on another discussion - one about my roof. I
have just discovered that the roofers used the method you describe on
my own roof. The contract called for a Cobra ridge vent. Before I
start asking them to come back and fix it - I need to know (1) is the
method you describe as effective at moving hot air out as the Cobra
ridge vent? Is there anything about it that would void my warranty of
the shingles? I really don't want to have to go through the ordeal of
having them come back and do it over. We have had some really bad
rains lately - and the roof does not leak. My main concern is the
constantly running a/c and I wonder if the attic would be cooler with
a ridge vent. Your opinion would be appreciated.