Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
BillinDetroit BillinDetroit is offline

Default How do I turn bedposts longer than my lathe?

Owen Lawrence wrote:
I've got a lathe that can hold about 35" with the live centre, but I
want to turn bedposts 36" and 48" long. Obviously I'll have to do each one
in two or more sections. I can easily make a tenon on one end, but how do I
accurately make the receiving mortise (hole)? My drillpress has a capacity
of 16 1/2", minus whatever I lose for a forstner bit. I suppose I could
just try to drill it with the hand held drill, but I don't believe I could
get it drilled straight enough.

Make a fixture to hold the post off the drill press table. Not too tough
.... use a wooden clamp (the kind with two handles and wooden jaws - I
don't know the precise name) to hold the post and any other sort of
stout clamp to hold that clamp to the table. Swivel the table around to
put the post under the bit.

Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000766-1, 08/17/2007
Tested on: 8/18/2007 7:15:01 PM