Posted to rec.woodworking
Thom Thom is offline

Default Entrance way Arch

It's under a roof covering but still the rain and snow can get to it.
I'm from near St. Louis so we see all 4 seasons.
I've never had good luck when joining cedar...I thought about it since it
has inherient properties for the weather and is also light in weight
compared to oak.

Thom
"Patriarch" wrote in message
36...
"Thom" wrote in :

Good questions -- not enought info to work with it sounds like.
The porch is about 6 foot wide and 4 foot deep so that it creates a
little place to stand out of the rain beofre going in the door.
The arch istself would hang from the front part of the porch -- the
entrance would havet the arch at a 7 foot height then go 4 foot and
then finally in the door.
Mifey poo has a greenish color trim she want to use. The new arch
would be painted this greenish color to match the rest of the trim. So
no siding or stucko or bricking. Just paint.
The arch will be about 3 inches in depth total to give it a little
perspective when looking at it from relatively close. From the street
no one can tell how thick this is. I anticipate using layers with a
spacing (1.5inch) to create a sandwich effect.

Is it under a roof covering? Direct rain/snow/etc.?

I like the sound of the white oak, but, being from California, am not
certain why a good Western Red Cedar would have a problem.

Where are you?

Patriarch