Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Entrance way Arch

Thom wrote:
My wife wants an arched entrance to the front of the house -- and
of course I just say OK.

So, is this going to be a hole cut in the side of the house and with a
door? Same thing at the end of a porch? Maybe at the front of a
porch with no door?
________________

My question is -- Since this is an outside project and subject to
heart and humidity extremes I am wondering about material to use.

A lot depends on answer to questions above.
________________

Any thoughts about using exterior grade ply? I always dread using
ply where it is exposed to the weather.

Not to mention how it looks. You aren't covering with siding or
stucco?
________________

If I cover the ply with a urethane will this help prevent decay?

No. Using pressure treated plywood would. So would using non-PT and
a liberal application of Cuprinol.
________________

Any ideas.

Around here, most houses are block. Arches are formed with 2 pieces
of exterior ply cut with a curve. One inside, other outside. Short
pieces of 2x4 are nailed between the two to form the bottom of the
arch and firm up the ply. Windows/door frames are fastened to the
pieces of 2x4. Ply and any 2x4 part that shows are stuccoed over.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...