Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default co2 - safe handling?

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 11:07:43 -0700, wrote:
On Aug 17, 4:38 pm, "Pete C." wrote:

SCUBA tanks are a lot higher pressure than CO2. The only real issue with
CO2 is the potential for frostbite if you manage to release it in liquid
form on yourself. Just download the MSDS from the Airgas site.

I recall the air tanks were around 3000 PSI and gather that co2 is
somewhere
around the 600 mark.

Our SCBA tanks are pressurized up to 2215PSI. I have no idea where that
number comes from. There are also 6000PSI tanks I seem to recall
but...in a fire, one 2215PSI tank is all I can go through without being
tired, not sure how much longer the 6000PSI would last but, longer than
me.

Aluminum SCUBA tanks are usually 3,000PSI, some are 3,300PSI. Steel
SCUBA tanks are usually 2215PSI, though there are some HP versions. I've
seen composite SCUBA tanks that run at 4,500PSI and that is also a
common pressure for fire fighting SCBA tanks.

The 2215PSI SCBA tanks are typically older ones from what I've seen and
seen to be going away. I've not seen any portable SCUBA or SCBA tanks
running at 6,000PSI, but cascade tank banks often operate that high so
that they can fully fill the 3,000PSI tanks for a sizable draw down
before the compressor needs to operate again.

Pete C.