Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Speed of Light Broken

In article ,
Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 20:40:48 -0400, John Husvar
wrote:
In article ,
"Tom Gardner" wrote:

I want my flying car that I was promised in the '60s!

I want to know what happened to all that "Electricity too cheap to
meter," heated roadways, etc, etc. that was supposed to come from
nuclear power plants.

The flying car would be nice too.

No! To be more precise, HELL NO! Not unless and until computers
get good enough to do all the flying and there's no manual control
override option, and that'll be 100 years down the road.

I have to dodge ennough assholes in 2D space and coming from known
angles at relatively reasonable velocities. I don't even want to
THINK about the carnage in the skies if we let just anyone walk in and
get a license for their Flying Car.

Just think about it rationally - the same mix of old farts who
think 35 is plenty fast enough on the freeway, or can't turn their
heads so they just make lane changes blind. The rich who think their
Rolls or Beemer or Benz is a permit to own the road. The Steve
McQueen wannabees who think they're filming the Bullitt chase scene
every day. The well connected who can drive however they want because
they have their way to make all traffic tickets "disappear" at will.
And the immortal teenagers whose brains routinely write checks their
driving skills can't cash.

Now Bruce, think of the darwinian advantages. The first few years would
see some severe weeding, causing general improvement of the gene pool.

But I'd also walk for the first five years.

Joe Gwinn