Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default shed base

On 2007-08-18 14:02:47 +0100, coco said:

Hi All

I am building foundations out of bricks for a 10'x10' garden shed
over
an existing patio. I want the shed to sit one bricks height above
the
patio to allow for ventilation. Th patio is not quite level with
about a 2" varience over the 10' of the shed's width. I have started
laying the bricks on their sides, 2 bricks width in 6 lines, and
moving to laying them flat as they go up the slope, leveling with a
dry sand/cement mix.

Does anyone have any advice on doing this. How level is level? Will
the dry mix I am using be secure enough on top of the existing patio?

50mm variation in 3m is too much for a shed base so you are right to
level the base. I would aim for no more than 5mm over this distance
and preferably less. Also, try to avoid making up too much of the
difference using mortar, but using bricks is reasonable.

For the last couple of mm. you can always use shims under bearers to
get exact adjustment.

I wouldn't use a dry mix on top of an existing hard surface. Assuming
that it's sound, then conventional mortar would be more appropriate.