Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Wall cavity full of sheetrock pieces

On Aug 17, 6:05 pm, Father Haskell wrote:
On Aug 17, 7:27 pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

I took down a couple of pieces of beat-up sheetrock and found that many
of the cavities were almost completely full of pieces of sheetrock.

Any good reason why a builder (or remodeler, perhaps) would have done
this? The only thing I can think of is that it saved them the trouble of
carting the offcuts away and perhaps paying to dump them.

I suppose they haven't been doing any harm, but they are a pest if I
want to install an old-work outlet box in a section of wall where I do
not remove the sheetrock.

Perce

If they're unpainted, bust them up and feed them to the lawn.
They're a great source of magnesium. In fact, magnesium
supplements (i.e. "claybreaker") are usually made from
recycled drywall.

Nope. Not that simple. I tried the "throw it on the garden and till
it in". Doesnt' work for crap. I was till tilling up chunks several
years later.

I tried the "feed them to the chipper' method" Works great but you
won't see the chipper after the first piece hits it and that stuff is
_very_ corrosive. Ran a hose on it after I finished and it was still
running white when it died from all the water. Haven't tried to start
it since.

Harry K