Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default AC relay theory

Straw Man writes:

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 08:01:28 -0700, Steve wrote:

How does an AC relay work? I understand that the magnetic field of a
DC relay coil attracts the contact arm and I assumed an AC relay just
had a diode to convert coil current to DC - however when I tried to
find an AC relay fault there was no diode. I thought 50 or 60 Hz
alternating magnetic field cannot produce such a corresponding
movement in a mechanical contact arm so I would have thought the net
magnetic effect would be zero (no overall attraction or repulsion).
Given the relay obviously operated before, I just can't see how. I
did think the 'AC' rating just meant the contacts but I don't see why
this wouldn't just be a current rating.

Enough latent magnetism in the core to somewhat negate the alternating
field? Same goes for an AC solenoid as in a doorbell plunger I suppose.

You will usually find a copper "shading ring" wrapped around the end of the
pole piece. The current induced in the shading ring delays the decay of the
magnetic field long enough to smooth it out between cycles. There is no
diode or smoothing cap!