Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
n cook n cook is offline

Default So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

You might find that a tool is already available which works for this
purpose. I'm thinking of the things for scraping the enamel off
transformer winding wi
http://www.buerklin.com/gruppen/KapL/L115880.asp

Chris

But those are RoHS compliant.

More to the point, for removing laquer , not hard tin , from round surface.
I just tried a Skarstan blade , singly, in its normal wooden handle and it
scrapped the hard tin off some of the flat leads of the latest batch of
TIP35C/36C power trannies that I bought. Down to the copper with no
difficulty, I think I can ignore the tin-pest developinmg on the narrow
edges as long as the main surface contact areas are functionally solderable.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England