Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Huebner Peter Huebner is offline

Default Multimeter as moisture meter?

In article ,
says...
For the electrical engineer types amongst us:

Figuring that moisture meters are measuring some dimension of electricity is
there some way a multimeter could be used for measuring the moisture ratio
in wood? ...maybe with the application of math after taking a reading of
some property of the electrical current passing through the wood?

Curious...

John

An ohm-meter should do it. You'll have to devise a probe that has a couple of
contacts fixed at a certain set distance, then validate it against a commercial
instrument to get a scale (at least that's what I'd consider the easiest
practical solution, rather than trying to do it with math). I've no idea what
the commercial instruments use as measuring current, but your multimeter would
find that out easily enough.

-P.