Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Farber David Farber is offline

Default What is this stuff on this pc board?

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Bob AZ wrote:

"David Farber" wrote:
I occasionally see this residue where the components are soldered. Is

this
flux? Something else?

David

Conformal coating. Probably used for moisture protection among other
things. Like a varnish. Also some coatings were epoxy types.

It is NOT conformal coating. Besides you'll probably only ever see that on
high-end industrial or military gear.

Graham

I should mention that the photograph of the circuit board came out of a high
end Proceed amplifier. These amps costs big bucks and fail frequently. The
company offered no support to the independent guy. The authorized service
place in my area wanted $150 an hour plus parts to repair it. No surprise
that Proceed is out of business now.

The other amp I saw this residue in was an a/v receiver, a Marantz SR-8500.

Thanks for your replies.
--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center