Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Paste Wax on Fe Tools?

Sun, Aug 12, 2007, 12:09pm .@. (GarageWoodworks) doth queryeth:
Ever leave paste wax (wiped on thin, but NOT wiped off) on your cast
iron tool tops (jointer, TS top etc.) in between projects? snip*

This is related, kinda. I live in NC too.

I keep my wondernine handy. I check it every few days or so. It's
been fine normally, but a couple of weeks ago, I pulled it out and,
gasp, it had rust. Took it apart, used a cotton (mostly) sock with a
bit of Marvel Mystery Oil on it, and took care of the rust. Checked,
daily, for a couple of days, no prob. Than about the third day, gasp, a
small bit of rust starting again. Again, sock, oil. Apparently somehow
something wet got on/in the holster. Hmm. Cut the sock off about
halfway, a bit more Marvel Mystery Oil, slid the piece inside the sock,
then in the holster. Had to loosen the strap a fraction to get it to
snap properly, but have had no recurrence of rust. And it smalls nice
too.

I find that a drop or two of Marvel Mystery Oil on my router bit
bearing, before use, seems to greatly improve its life expectancy also.

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso