Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy Robatoy is offline

Default Electricity under water

On Aug 16, 11:51 pm, Tom Veatch wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 18:14:00 -0700, Robatoy
wrote:

Electrolysis from an AC source?

Don't immediately see any reason why not.

During the specific half cycle between each zero crossing, the
voltage/current is time varying DC.

If there is no time delay between the current beginning to flow and
electrolysis beginning, or if such a threshold does exist and it's
less than 1/120 sec, then H2O molecules should be split into hydrogen
and oxygen during each half cycle.

If there is no mechanism to recombine the hydrogen generated during
one half cycle with the oxygen generated during the previous and/or
next half cycle, the bubbles from each electrode should contain a mix
of hydrogen and oxygen. Possibly separate bubbles, possibly a gas
mixture in each bubble, but in either case, not a worthwhile
separation technique without calling on Maxwell's Demon to direct
traffic.

Yup, I'll buy that. *in my best Maxwell Smart voice* "the ol' cathode/
anode switch at 60 Hz"