Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart Jim Stewart is offline

Default co2 - safe handling?

Pete C. wrote:
wrote:
Just got myself a co2 tank designed to fill small paintball tanks.

I plan to use this mostly for combat robotics and possibly
for a MIG set up when I get MIG.

I do have SCUBA experience, an air compressor and a TIG set up. But
co2 seems to be a bit of a different horse as it is stored in liquid
form.

Looking for information sources on handling this safely.
Favorite books, web sites, free advice...

Tanks :-) for any help.

DOC

SCUBA tanks are a lot higher pressure than CO2. The only real issue with
CO2 is the potential for frostbite if you manage to release it in liquid
form on yourself. Just download the MSDS from the Airgas site.

The bulk tank itself should require no more
care than your other high pressure bottles.

I understand that care is required in filling
the small paintball tanks to insure there's
always an adequate gas headspace above the
liquid. If not, heat can cause the liquid
to expand and explode the tank.