Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles John Stumbles is offline

Default Boiler flue length

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:25:53 +0000, John wrote:

Trying to get around to creating a short-list of potential boilers. Need to
arrange for flue to go from ground floor through existing chimney to
terminal at chimney pot height.

Am I right in assuming that a twin tube system give more scope for a longer
flue than a concentric arrangement?

Probably not

(Then we need to consider if a twin pipe would fit up the chimney)

You ought also consider that it is, according to CORGI's 'Gas Installaer'
magazine, a requirement of the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1998/19982451.htm
that flues should be accesible for inspection prior to initial
comissioning of the appliance and during routine servicing or maintenance
of the appliance.

(I can't see that in the regs myself unless one interprets section 28
"No person shall install a gas appliance except in such a manner that
it is readily accessible for operation, inspection and maintenance" to
include flues within the meaning of 'appliance', which is not explicit in
section 2 "General interpretation and application")

--
John Stumbles

Bitwise, byte foolish