Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Router help revisited

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 06:49:51 -0700, put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Thanks so far for the replies. However it did not work.

snip

So the main question at the moment is; Could some hidden adapter
settings be screwed up but Linux is so much better it found it anyway,
or is the problem been proven to be Windows. We know the hardware
works, but what I am asking is it possible that the hardware will no
longer work with Windows 98SE ?

There is one other thing, "Bob" mentioned DHCP.

If your machine stalls for a minute or so at bootup, and if it is
configured to obtain an IP address automatically, then there is a
chance that it is unable to obtain an IP address from a DHCP server.
This server is usually your router.

I found no such
setting anywhere and I have been all over the place as far as I know.
Is it possible that after the crash there is a component of Windows
missing ?

With respect, you have written a lot, but provided little information.

What was the result of "ipconfig /all"?

Alternatively, go to Start - Run and type ...

winipcfg /all

Select your NIC from the drop down box if necessary.

What did you see when you entered
http://192.168.0.1 in Mozilla's
address bar in Linux?

FWIW, here are some configuration pages from my D-Link DSL-302G
modem/router:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/DSL-302G/MainPages/

You might try turning off your software firewall, if you have one.

Any file could be gone. The original error was "HIMEM.SYS" missing or
corrupted.

That file has nothing to do with networking. Anyway it should be in
your Windows folder, and you may find a copy in the Windows\Command
folder.

To compare the two copies, type the following at a DOS prompt:

fc /b c:\windows\himem.sys c:\windows\command\himem.sys

Try reposting your question to microsoft.public.win98.networking.

- Franc Zabkar