Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default What is this stuff on this pc board?

In article ,
"Arfa Daily" wrote:

"David Farber" wrote in message
I occasionally see this residue where the components are soldered. Is this
flux? Something else?

http://www.pbase.com/image/83992679

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center

I'm not sure what that is, but it doesn't look like any flux residue that
I've ever seen. The little brownish 'blobs' on the tops of Q200's legs do,
as does the lttle patch at the upper edge of its centre leg. If it is flux
residue, I'm sure that you would agree, as a repairer yourself, that it is
very unusual for it to be white like that, which is why you are asking for
the opinions of others on here, I would guess ? Perhaps solder guru Smitty
could offer an opinion from the production point of view.

Arfa

Guru? Surely you exaggerate. But that dry, flaky, powdery white stuff
looks exactly like rosin flux residue that's been incompletely cleaned
using a saponifier and hot water. That methodology largely replaced
solvents some time back, as one alternative to water-soluble fluxes.