Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Uncalled-For Mr Uncalled-For is offline

Default Strap boss for 3.5" cast iron pipe

On Aug 17, 12:29 am, fred wrote:
In article . com,
Mr Uncalled-For writesOn Aug 16, 5:59 pm, fred wrote:

One of my (tenement) neighbours has had one done recently and a section
of CI was cut out and a plastic branch grafted in with those universal rubber
couplers. Not the tidiest of solutions but it was a new bathroom so should
have been BC assessed.

Fred, what local authority would that be? It could provide precedent.

(Yes, I'm starting to talk about plumbing like a solicitor. It has
come to this

It's Glasgow City Council, in a conservation area and was completed in the
last 8mths or so.

If it's any help I can post a pic but TBH it looks like an example of how not
to do a job, it looks like ****.

In fact, here it is (note, this is not mine!):http://i14.tinypic.com/6gapmhv.jpg

However, take a look at the branch on the skinny pipe, looks
like a hole has been drilled and the pipe just poked in

Yeah, I noticed that. Interesting!

Reading the doc that John linked to I notice a requirement for a min
450mm between a the lowest branch and the base of the bottom bend,
watch you don't get caught with that one.

That is the one that I am hoping wont be a problem - it would require
the drain to bend below about 200mm below the ground level.
Not sure how you'd check that without digging or in this case lifting
slabs, then digging.