Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Electric Lawn Mower question

Heathcliff wrote in
oups.com:

On Aug 16, 3:12 am, wrote:
Has anyone used any of the electric lawn mowers? If so, do they cut
well? Are they durable, and can they handle heavy weeds and tall
grass? I'm considering buying one because I am tired of fighting with
gas ones that dont want to start, not to mention I never have gas when
I need it. What brands are good? Do they use a regular power mower
type blade?

Vic

In my youth (1960s) I cut the grass in our yard with a corded electric
mower. It did fine for mowing our average suburban lawn, maybe
quarter or fifth of an acre. The cord is a PITA but you get used to
it, how to plan your route so it doesn't get in the way. I only cut
it once Apart from that the mower always worked fine. The design
was basically just like a gas mower with an electric motor instead of
a gas engine, and an on/off switch instead of the pull starter. The
one we had was very reliable, as you would expect -- it's a very
simple device, very similar to an electric fan really. On the other
hand, the first time I used a gas mower, it was wow -- this thing is
really powerful, and I can just go wherever I want! -- H

In my youth I cut the grass in the yard with a reel mower. Thank
goodness gramps yard was flat.