Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Replace Sliding Glass Door

Harry K wrote in
oups.com:

On Aug 16, 8:30 am, "a12vman" wrote:
I need to replace the sliding glass door. I've done it on a previous
home where the nailing flange was covered by a trim board, but my
current house is Vinyl Sided with J-Channel right up to the door. Is
there a trick to replacing the door without destroying the Vinyl
siding?

Thanks in Advance,
-a12vman

I recently got a bid for the same job from a window and glass
company. My house has steel siding applied the same way (j channel
over the nailing flange). I asked how they would do it.

"Simple. We just cut off the nailing flange and install the new door
leavign the J-channel and all siding in place".

Didn't have them do it but it sounds very feasible to me and, with a
decent caulk job afterward, should be indistiinguishable from new
construction.

Harry K

Extensive caulking might restrict the thermal expansion/contraction of
vinyl.