Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default Need help on electrical problem!!!

On Aug 15, 7:59 pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
I'll bet a dollar to twelve donuts, your outlets are "backstabbed" . I'll
also bet that one of them in the series is where your problem
is. Find out which outlets are on that circuit, kill it at the
breaker panel and start taking them apart. If they are backstabbed,
put the wires on the screws and i'll bet the problem goes away. While
you're at it, do all the outlets in the house.

steve

Good bet.

"ron" wrote in message
roups.com...
I had a new circuit breaker box installed 3 years ago by a licensed
electrician, the old one was a Federal Pacific "fire starter".
Everything was fine until a few days ago. When I turn on the TV, the
power for that entire circuit goes off WITHOUT tripping the circuit
breaker. The rest of the house has power.
If I wait for a few minutes the power for the circuit (not just the
socket that the TV is plugged in to) that shut down COMES BACK ON BY
ITSELF and I can turn on the TV with no problem (until the next
time). The problem does not happen all the time, probably every
other time I turn on the TV.. We have been having record
temperatures here for the past 10 days or so with no rain (105-110).
If there was a short in the TV you would think the circuit breaker
would trip.

Anyone have an idea what's going on?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit- Hide quoted text -

Yeah probably an outlet at the beginning of the branch, I cant believe
anyone would use the outlet itself in series to continue the run load,
but it happens. I try never to cut the run, just loop the screws like
christmas lights, if I have to cut the run I pigtail out to the outlet
and let a good twist with wire nut carry the run load. It's crappy
wiring to use the device to continue the run load.