Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Allison Robert Allison is offline

Default Electricity under water

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Toller" wrote:

Oh, to answer your question; without dissolved salt; water does not conduct
electricity.

That's not true. *Pure* water is a very poor conductor of electricity -- but
having *anything* dissolved in it (not just salt) makes it conductive.

All the rain was distilled water.

What, you think all the water in the lake got there directly as rainfall? None
of it was runoff? And nothing ever dissolved in it afterward?

Way back when, long before now, hopefully long enough ago for
the statutes of limitations to expire, we used to do what we
called "telephoning fish". We did this using the generator
from the old crank telephones. Drop a weighted wire to the
bottom and another wire that we just stuck in the top of the
pond, stream, creek, etc. Crank on the handle, and fish would
float up. This was fresh water. It seemed to conduct the
current well enough to stun the fish.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.