Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Strap boss for 3.5" cast iron pipe

In article .com
, Mr Uncalled-For writes
On Aug 16, 1:41 pm, John Rumm wrote:

You can if it is easier, change the stack from CI to plastic half way
up. So you could switch to plastic and add a new branch in that.

That'd be great. I'd like that, because I bet one of these:
http://tinyurl.com/2wqwpy is not cheap.
But it seems like swapping plastic into cast iron stacks really isn't
approved of in this neck of the woods.
One plumber and the building control guy concur on this.

I could just do what I wanted, but then might have problems selling
the house if I've done something easily visible that's not allowed.

This was building control you were talking to and not MI5!

Just kidding about the call tracing.

If you are going the building notice warrant route, I would phone them
again and ask about how they handle part P. Make sure your council is
not one that will try to stiff you into paying for an external test
report - because that could add another couple of hundred to the bill.

Part N up here, I think.
Frankly I'm becoming resigned to hundreds being added onto the bill.
After all I need to interact with the government, and trained
professionals, sob.

sigh, how tiresome.

I was trying to work out the objection for the strap on but I suppose it the
lack of a sweep meaning that passing fluids could go back up the branch.
Sounds pretty remote to me. I thought of that when doing mine (in an
enclosed location) and placed a step drop of about 150mm in the branch
just before the joint to the stack.

One of my (tenement) neighbours has had one done recently and a section
of CI was cut out and a plastic branch grafted in with those universal rubber
couplers. Not the tidiest of solutions but it was a new bathroom so should
have been BC assessed.

assembly and used WD40 when cutting which was not ideal, I think tallow
is meant to be the preferred option.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla