Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Lawn Mower question

On Aug 16, 7:35 am, Meat Plow wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 03:12:23 -0500, victor_k5 wrote:
Has anyone used any of the electric lawn mowers? If so, do they cut
well? Are they durable, and can they handle heavy weeds and tall
grass? I'm considering buying one because I am tired of fighting with
gas ones that dont want to start, not to mention I never have gas when
I need it. What brands are good? Do they use a regular power mower
type blade?

They don't do well in heavy/tall grass. Buy a reliable gas mower like a
Honda Harmony series HRS216PDA. It WILL START on the first or second pull
if you simply take care of you fuel by keeping it in a closed container
and adding a stabilizing product like StaBil. Other than that, no
maintenance needed other than a yearly oil change. Hell I have one I
bought used 3 yrs ago and use it to trim around trees in my back yard.
I've never changed the oil in it and other than adjusting the choke, it's
been trouble free.

Say what? You never change the oil?

As for the Honda mowers, I was a big fan of them too, but my opinion
just went down a bit. I have a 3 speed Harmony that is about 8 years
old. It's been great, up till now. The transmission just went from
wear. I used it to cut about .3 acres. Really bad part is the
tranny costs $130. Not sure what to do really, as the rest of it is
still in great shape. But I guess 8 years isn't all that bad either.

If you had a little swatch of grass to mow in front of
your patio, maybe an electric would be ok for you but from your questions
it doesn't sound like a good choice.