Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Home Office Shed - insulation & heating.

Brian G wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Bob Smith wrote:
I am considering building a home office in the garden (kind of
elaborate shed). Size would need to be around 6ft x 10ft.

I am thinking of starting with a regular commercial shed, and doing
a DIY conversion.

Has anyone done this? I need to add the maximum insulation to help
keep it warm/reduce heating costs/keep cooler in summer, and add a
double glazed window, and extenal door.
I haven't done it myself, but have sen it done several times.

Your approach is corect in teh essentials. Don't forget floor
insulation.
What is the best way to add insulation, and what thickness is
required to meet the highest insulation standards. I want to end up
with a white/magnolia flat finish on the walls, and a laminate
floor.
Mmm. You should be able to wedge about 50mm of celotex between the
structural bits, and plate over with foil backed plasterboard. Paper
or skim or both and paint.

Floor is a bot more of an issue. Ether replace it completely with an
insulated tupe or put studowrk across it,celotex insulate, chip out
and laminate it.

What would be cheapest way to heat the "office". Some heat will be
gained by the computer/lighting etc. Would it be better to use
underfloor heating under the laminate, or a aircon unit (as a heat
pump), or something else?

To be honest, the computer/lighting stuff should be enough. Backed up
with an electric heater for really cold days.

UFH means really designing a custom floor from scratch and unless
wet is no saving at all. Aircon isn't bad..but its an expensive
install. You have to balance installation costs (a couple of quid for an
electric heater versus thousands for aircon or UFH) - against
running costs over the units lifetime. A couple of grand buys a lot
of electricity. A small shed well insulated should only need 200-500W to
be cosy. The
lower end of that is about what all the installed gear+ human will
generate like as not. That leaves 300W to find.

So presumably none of this is subject to planning regs, even though
you'd effectively end up with a habitable space behind a shed facade.

IIRC providing that it's more than a specified distance from a neighbours
boundary and below a certain size, then no planning permission or building
control is applicable as it's "Deemed To Satisfy" BUT - as it's intended to
be wired for electricity, then Part P of the building regs will apply.

It's a long time since I delved deeply into planning and building regulation
matters, so this info may well be long past its 'sell by' date.

Brian G

I'd be interested if anyone has more detail on this, particularly the
distance from the neighbour's boundary. My son is hoping to build
himself some kind of bunker/studio down the end of the garden.