Posted to alt.home.repair
marson marson is offline

Default badly rotted rim joist under back door

On Aug 15, 9:07 pm, campkropp wrote:
Hello all,

I have a badly rotted rim joist under my back door running a 8' span.
I can't seem to get any contractors that are willing to do the
job....either to small of a job or they don't the type of work.
Question is this:

Is this a type of job that someone who is as my father says "jack of
all trades, Master of none". I have been around tools and general
home improvement all of my life. If this is a job for the DIY in us
all, How exactly would I go about it(Kinda step by step). Working
around rainy weather is not an issue here in Richmond VA since we are
in the middle of a drought.

I currently have the deck and siding removed and I am
patiently(Quickly evaporating) waiting to get this done and on to the
rest of my remodel.(Wife is starting to get involved now.

Please Help Me Out, anyone.

Thanks,
campkropp

It's going to depend on a number of factors. For example, which
direction do the floor joist run? What is going to happen if you
remove this chunk of rim joist? We can probably get you through many
projects involving new construction, but remodelling is another thing--
usually takes some head scratching on site. Pretty hard to do it from
here. Post some pics for starters.