Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default insurance payout when work is not done

In article ,
"Toller" wrote:

Your problem is that you are continuing to fight for the higher amount
eventhough you are not having it fixed. Never thought I would ever say
this, but I am on the insurance company's side here; you can't
simultaneously say the amount is inadequate, but you don't want to have
anything fixed anyhow.

Again that would depend on the contract. When I had my roof repaired
last summer, they held out money until the job was done, but that was to
give me an incentive to either get the work done or sign off on
something that I was not going to get it done. This was to make sure the
insurance company did not give me the money, me not do the work, and
then try for another full claim the next time it hailed, or at least
that was how it was explained.
However, if I wanted to release them from liability, then I could
get the whole thing right away. They owed it to me either way. At least
IIRC how it was explained.