Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
CBFalconer CBFalconer is offline

Default Observations on a UPS - follow up to a previous post

Arfa Daily wrote:
"kony" wrote in message

.... snip ...

I can play 50 FPS video or games running at over 50 FPS on a 19"
LCD computer monitor and not see any problems except the obvious
lack of contrast (but with CRT I am spoiled in this respect,
having bought Diamondtron tube based monitors for the last few I
used myself before switching to primarily LCD usage).

Yes, there is the lack of contrast issue, which is not
insignificant in itself. My son plays video games on his PC at high
frame rates also. He also has an expensive HP 4:3 LCD, and whilst
it's pretty good at displaying fast motion, there is,
never-the-less, motion blur that wasn't there when he used CRT
monitors. When a pixel represents decimals of a uS, and the time to
switch that pixel is around a mS at best, there must be motion blur
created.

I suspect that the real effect is caused by the pixel decay time.
CRTs operate with a refresh rate between 25 and about 100 hz,
depending on interlace, resolution, etc. This means a pixel will
be refreshed no sooner than 10 mS (up to about 40) from the earlier
energization. If, at that refresh time, the pixel has a
substantial carry-over from the previous level, there will be
blurring. If the carry-over is too small, there will be flickering
and other evil effects. I believe the LCDs have, effectively, zero
carry-over, and compensate by having an instantaneous reset of any
previously set level; i.e. they don't require interlace, refresh,
etc. except to show motion.

http://cbfalconer.home.att.net