Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default More Stirling Stuff

Morris Dovey wrote:
...or "Thinking weird thoughts in Iowa"

That evening I spotted a blurb about using windmills to produce power
to run pumps to fill reservoirs for hydroelectric power generation
when the wind wasn't blowing - !?! - and I had an application for my
big engine.

"Pumped storage" facilities...not the _most_ widespread thing, but quite
a number of them exist. W/ excess capacity at night, etc., can help on
peaking by using that capacity to refill the reservoir when not needed
on the grid. Aids in mitigating needing more capacity for peak demand...

Other than that, interesting thought, but no direct input (other than to
note we have lots of wind generation here, but no hill nor (surface)
water to pump...