Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf Leuf is offline

Default Set the shop up first...

On 15 Aug 2007 06:41:09 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

Just a suggestion for anyone here who's thinking about moving. When you
get to your new place, set up the shop area first. You don't have to
unpack your fancy table saw, but do definately unpack most of your hand
tools. The reasoning is simple: You'll want those tools in the house.

I've heard all of these since moving:
"Where's the tape measure?"
"I need a screwdriver."
"Got a staplegun?"
"We have a putty knife somewhere, do you know where?"

So, by setting the shop up first, you'll have your tools unpacked and be
able to provide the tool when it's needed. Not only are you spared a two
hour search for a tool you know you own, but you've also got the option
of making sawdust after the day is done.

If only there were some sort of box in which we could place those
sorts of tools that we could carry around with us. But, what would we
call such a thing?

I normally have my tools up on the wall in the shop, but for a move
into the toolbox they go and the toolbox stays with me all the time.
Half the time you're going to need them to take something apart or
down at the old place and half the time you'll need them to do the
opposite at the other end.

Last time we moved the first thing that I did was paint the basement
walls and floors where the shop was going before anything got moved
in. It was then or never, and it makes a big difference to have white
walls in the basement.

-Leuf