Posted to alt.home.repair
dohc46 dohc46 is offline

Default brown water in bathtub only when....

2-1/2 weeks ago I dumped bleach into the water well and followed
instructions of the "shock" treatment.
Even today, this strange thing to me at least, is occurring:

In the masterbath (doesn't seem to be a problem anywhere else) when
you run

only cold water = water is clear
only hot water = water is clear
but when you turn both on (which is normal) = water is definitely
brown

I don't believe this to be a fluke, because it has happened numerous
times...I just can't explain why it would be happening only when both
the cold & hot is on but it is clear when I run them separately.

Note:
I have flushed the hot water tank with the water on
I have flushed a little bit of water out of the tank with the water
off
I have flushed a little bit of water out of the pressure relief pipe
with the water on
Also even after 2-1/2 weeks definitely smell chlorine from the cold
water drinking sink; even after following the "shock" instructions and
running hose into the drive for a total of many hours.
fyi: maybe relevent...since the "shock" treatment I've had to change
the whole house filter (3) times, it was REALLY brown. Also we do
have a water softner, using the iron removing salt.